Sunday, September 23, 2007

BREAKING OUT OF THE BOX - RECENT PHOTOS of ME from FALL 2007


Here I am. Yes, I am.

Not being narcissistic or anthing like that, I am just trying to "save" my images for posterity, and let you know a few more sides of me!

Based on some of the images above, I am actually "coming out of my box" - my self-imposed, "Never Take A Picture or Be Seen Without Make-Up" Rule. I know that I'm not the only woman in the world who thinks this way. Right, Ladies? Surely, I'm not.

Even though I do not wear a lot of make-up in the first place, it has often been the case that I think (and have felt insecure about) that I am a completely different looking person (i.e. ugly and the most unattractive woman in the world) without make-up. With the little make-up I wear and when I have it on, I actually think I am pretty and attractive, but I have really struggled with my self-image without make-up. Growing up, my Grandmother and Mother would always emphasize that a woman should never go out in public without make-up and/or being fully dressed up with her hair fixed. The underlying meaning was that it made the woman look "bad" and "unattractive" - like she didn't care about herself - and "womanhood" couldn't have that. Oh no!!

It has only been in recent years that I have come to realize that I am beautiful with or without make-up. I am the same on the inside with or without make-up. Make-up doesn't make me any better on the inside. It just means that I have a different "look" without make-up. I know that I am an attractive woman because God made me as I am, and I have A LOT of great attributes to offer others - a good personality, humor, love, intelligence, some wit, care, prayer, and a love for my Lord and Sweet Master.

Perhaps most women struggle with the dilemma I have stated above in regard to how they feel about themselves without make-up. If so, I hope that you take away from this the desire to reveal yourself without make-up. I think men need to see us both ways. Sure there is a place for professionalism and "looking nice," but I think there should also be a place for honoring our "natural" look as well.

Whew! What a relief! I can't believe I let you see me without make-up.

The box has truly been smashed.

5 comments:

DaBich said...

Congrats on having the courage to post these pics! And yes, you look just fine without makeup, if I say so myself =D

Tim said...

Nice pics, esther. But you knew I had already mentioned that to you.

Oh, BTW - you've been tagged. See my blog for your assignment.

EstherNow said...

DB: Thank you for thinking I have "courage!" I just don't want to feel ashamed of how I look without make-up anymore. Of course, I'll still look professional and my best when teaching, but I think I can still be myself outside of teaching even if I don't have make-up on. I'm still "me," right?? Of course!! Thanks again, Dabich! I like your exhortation!

Green: Thank you for the compliment, and, yes, I knew you thought so. Cool: "Tag! I'm it!" I'll get right to my middle name. ;)

DaBich said...

hey, no problem, I always speak my mind, ask Green. It gets me in trouble sometimes, but oh well.

Tim said...

esther: You don't have to ask me. d has always spoken her mind on this forum. And because she does it so well is one of the reasons we appreciate her as much as we do.

d: who cares if speaking your mind gets you in trouble occasionally. Would you want it any other way???

I think not.