Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'VE BEEN MISSING OUT


Clearly, I've been missing out. . .


and I didn't even know it.


My entry into this particular blogging community has only been recently. I submit into evidence my first post entitled "Smudging the Ink" and dated September 2. Very recent.

As I have taken moments here and there to travel around the posts and comments, I have been really impressed with the level of discourse, comradery, genuine interest, friendliness, and respect that I have read and seen. While many of the posts focus on the "everyday," "fun," and "trivial" (which are all just as interesting, I might add), there are many really deeply and engaging philosophical and spiritual discussions. Life is made of the same, so why would that not be the same on a blog which is essentially an online life journal?

Probably what I notice most, though, is what I suspected from the beginning. This blog community (or at least my entry point and the links therein) represents men and women who are closer to my age and have similar interests (the 30+ set). MySpace and Xanga are comprised of younger audiences and, although they do have blogging components, are largely visual mediums.

Teenagers are highly visual. They have to be visual with all the technology. I teach English to teenagers and know their predominant learning styles. It can be challenging fostering a love of the printed word whether on paper or on a screen to an audience very comfortable with one to two second screen changes.

I am, however, a lover of words. I love words. I love letters. I love the English alphabet. I love cards. I love puns. I love the journey that the letters take you on.

Give me words. Give me lots of words!

But only give them to me if they truly mean something.

My impression here on Blogger is that the people who are writing mean what they say and are enjoying doing the writing.

Oh, what a wonderful thought! Enjoying doing the writing. Enjoying the writing process!

An eager audience recording thoughts of all kinds, daily vignettes, inspirational interactions, deep conversations, prayers, heartache, pain, happiness, head-scratching moments, life questions, silly observations, and fun quizzes (too!).

I like what I see so far. Perhaps you'll like what you see here too. . .

and I won't be missing out anymore.

2 comments:

Tim said...

Didn't I warn you that blogger could become addictive....

I sense that you've seen the value of blogger and have become (or are quickly becoming) hooked yourself.

Yeah, baby!!

DaBich said...

Welcome to our world LOL! =D