Friday, September 7, 2007

I'M SHOCKED

I am shocked.

The situation(s) probably will not mean much to most, and many may not even have a clue to whom I refer, but the news I found out yesterday has left me in complete and utter shock.

It shouldn't, though.

But, first, the news:
Two of the female ministers who I most admire have announced that they are getting divorced. One marriage was relatively young by most standards - 5 years, but the other marriage was a 20+ year seemingly impenetrable, loving, and solid relationship. The younger of the two marriages, though, apparently ended with physical abuse being perpetrated on the female and the male minister being pursued by the police. Huh? Where did things go so wrong? So wrong? I was going to say the names of these high profile ministers, but I cannot bring myself to do it, I am so shocked, startled, and confused by these turn of events.

Above I say that I should not be shocked, and I shouldn't. People are people with all the same human frailities regardless of ministry status. Marriages are actually more difficult when involved in ministry and giving so much to others outside of the marriage. Marriage can very easily take a back seat to ministry, and that is not God's heart. Marriage is W-O-R-K. Love is W-O-R-K. It doesn't matter one's profession. In order for a relationship to thrive, both individuals must return to both their First Love (God) and their heart/desire/respect/loyalty to the other.

There are many, many distractions to any relationship, let alone a marriage.

God will not, and has not, given up on the wonderful people involved with these two divorces. God can use anything, so this is merely a "bump in the road" of their lives. All four will continue to serve the Lord in ministry. I have no doubt about that.

I'm just shocked and startled because, even though my prayers for a change in my ex didn't save my marriage from divorce, I guess I thought that if any marriages could survive, it would be these marriages and the incredible ladies and their husbands involved. Prayer is such a dynamic force in their lives and ministries, and they have had such tremendous testimonies on healed relationships. It shocks me to no end to hear that one of the ladies was physically assaulted by her husband. I sit here scratching my head on this part.

There is nothing I can do to change the course of events that have already transpired, but I can offer a prayer here for the future of those my heart hurts for:

Dear Lord,
I don't know all the details of these two divorces, but you do. I know that the individuals must be hurting deeply to have decided on said course of action. In the one case, there is clearly a good measure of built-up anger to have lashed out in physical abuse. Please comfort and guide each of these individuals during the grieving process and the tearing away of these relationships. You have always loved them like there is no tomorrow, but I pray that they truly feel that love, and they KNOW that love in a way they have never experienced to this date. Envelope them in security and protection. All of them. Ease any guilt or condemnation unless there is a greater wisdom they need from these at this time. I ask all this in Jesus' name. Amen.

****************

A Prayer for a Special Friend:

Dear Lord,
You know who this person is that I pray for, and that person knows too. I pray comfort in the midst of stresses, guidance in all endeavors, assurance in and for the future, security in the present, solidarity with Your destiny, unity with varied passions, confidence in tremendous abilities, creativity in all the hand touches, affection in all ways, respect for all the giftings, fulfillment in career, and love for just the person's being/essence. Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH for this person and the fact that I have been so blessed to know him or her. You are a God who desires to fulfill. This person is a special fulfillment in my life. I pray blessing upon blessing to overtake this person. This is sooooooo good to visualize. In Jesus' name. Amen.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I'm so sorry to hear about these divorces of those people whom you respect, ministers or not. No matter who you are, the decision to pursue divorce is never easy, and you and I both know it.

But God can use these things, these "bumps in the road" for His purpose and ultimate glory.

:D