Monday, October 29, 2007

BUILDING EXPECTANCY








Fall is a great time of the year, but I do not care for Halloween. Never have.

I did, however, step out of my paradigm and attend a close friend's Halloween/ Birthday Party Celebration this past Saturday. I even dressed up as a little girl ready for bed or a slumber party.

Some of the pictures are included here.
My friend Fondue Princess (see Sidebar) is dressed as Lucille Ball. She looks adorable, and she is 8 months pregnant! What a funny red wig!
Note: Yes, there were guys at this party, but only the Birthday Boy (My Friend's Fiance) was "sort of" dressed in costume. The ladies went all out, though. See?

******************************************

I heard something very wise here recently by Joyce Meyers, a noted Christian author and speaker. She was dealing with the problem of building expectancy in others but not following through.

God calls us to be people of integrity. We need to be careful with our words and honest in all our actions. Better to be overly honest than to err on the side of any falsehood.

Yes. Easier said than done sometimes, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

In this world, it is easy to have the best intentions. Intentions, however, don't always equate to action.

We may have the best of intentions when we say, "We'll talk" or "I'll call you" or "Let's get together for lunch or dinner sometime," but if we even mean that to be "sometime" out in the distant future, we might very well have built an expectancy in the other person for it to be more solid of a commitment. That other person may be expecting it to occur.

We must be very careful about building an expectancy with loved ones, family, friends, children, and acquaintances.

It is better not to offer the words or suggestions if your intention isn't really serious.

I found this to touch me.

I think I need to use my words more sparingly when it comes to the best of intentions.

6 comments:

Tim said...

Nice party pics.

And yes, I agree. I think we all could use a bit more caution in using words more sparingly when it comes to the best of intentions.

scribe the righteous(and hung) said...

See I am the opposite. I use words non-sparingly in an effort to make crazy people feel better about themselves. Permit me to demonstrate:


Green, you are so cool!!!




See?

DaBich said...

You look so comfy in those pajamas lol.

I find myself guilty of providing expectations, then not making the time to follow thru. My bad. :/

Tim said...

scribe: I AM cool!! LOL

JLee said...

It kind of reminds me of "The Four Agreements" which is right in line with the Bible. It says "be impeccable with your word" which made me think quite a bit. We say things offhand, then forget or don't really mean it, so it's good to be careful.

You are smart to wear a comfy Halloween costume. The best kind! lol

Jen Pierce said...

I got an email from you over the weekend saying you would call me. Irony-LOL (I love you-so PLEASE call me)I have HUGE news to tell you...but not over blogger and not in an email. Hope your week started off well.