Monday, April 14, 2008

PROUD OF MYSELF



Now, this is probably not anything earth-shattering for most of you, but I actually did my own taxes tonight for the first time in over twelve years. Twelve years because for the last eleven years up until last year, I've been married and my husband wanted his accountant to handle the taxes.

Now that I'm single and doing everything on my own, back in February when I first received my W-2 forms, I went to H&R Block to have them do my taxes with the idea in mind that I was getting a Refund.

WRONG. :(

They said I owed. Hmph. Very unexpected and depressing news. : )

To rectify the high amount owed due to an underpayment of my taxes because my marital status (married to single) changed last year, the H&R Block person was so nice and recommended I just file electronically closer to April 15th (tomorrow - I'm close!) when I could set some money aside to pay toward the total amount.

I didn't file electronically, but I have filled out all the paperwork and what makes me so happy is that my numbers DOING IT ALL BY MYSELF ON PAPER came out to exactly what the H&R Block computer and accountant came up with for me back in February.

This is a big deal for me because I definitely have an English Teacher's mind. I don't lean well toward tax accounting or number crunching in general. If it isn't basic math calculations (and maybe some basic Algebra and Geometry - my favorite), it usually reads like Greek to me. I was always horrible with word problems, and tax forms are like hellish word problems to me. They just seem so confusing, and the more I would try to understand in the past, the more confused I would get.

Not so this time! It all worked out, even with the "go here" and "fill out this extra form" or "do this calculation." My numbers were right!!!

Of course, as happy as I am about the numbers matching exactly, I am also reminded that those numbers mean a deficit in my pocket and paycheck.

The numbers do match, but mean I owe.

Urgh.

Oh well. I'm happy that I was able to do it myself.

I even took a picture of myself with the finished results to post here. If you don't see it right now, I'll post it tomorrow. It's just a silly little picture of me with a big smile and my paperwork, but no details from the returns visible.

I might not be good with numbers, but I have some idea THAT would add up to no good on someone's part.

Happy Tax Day, Friends!

8 comments:

Tim said...

e: Congrats on sucessfully taking care of it yourself! It's so cool when the numbers worked out for you the way they did when the tax person did it for you.

Doing taxes is the most frustrating thing, no matter if you're getting a refund or not.

I'd almost rather go to the dentist over and over and over again than have to file my taxes. (Almost is the key word here! LOL)

In fact, I just finished and efiled my MA tax return tonight, because I thought I'd owe something.



ibobumnm

DaBich said...

Taxes suck! lol
Congrats on matching the numbers, but sorry you owe! :(

JLee said...

ug...don't even get me started. lol

scribe said...

So are you two gonna get hitched er wha???

Tim said...

scribe: You must have missed it, but esther and I posted waaaaaay back in mid-January, simultaneously on each of our blogs, that we are just friends and are not dating.

So marriage isn't even an issue!

EstherNow said...

Green: What does "ibobumnm" mean?

Scribe: I second what Green said, but I'm curious where that question even came from given that my blog was on taxes? :) Do taxes make you think of marriage? I thought that taxes and death were the only "absolutes" in the joke. You must have replaced "marriage" for "death." LOL!

Green: Well put.

Tim said...

e: that was the word verification I had to enter to leave that first comment.

scribe said...

esther & green,

my mighty heart is breaking.